This past weekend I was talking with a couple of 4-H parents and they could hardly believe that it is now the 18th year for their annual Kent County 4H Toy Drive. The first drive began in 1998 when a group of 4-H’ers, in what is now the Junior Leadership Council, put together a service project that would help children. It was decided to do a Toy Drive. The following year it was a food drive. With the realization that there were many children in the county who didn’t receive toys on Christmas morning for the third year, and every year since, they have had a Toy Drive. In 2009 the 4-H partnered with the Lions Clubs of Kent County.
The Toy Drive accepts new, unwrapped toys and gifts for children ages newborn to 15 years. Monetary donations are also accepted. To be a part or contribute, contact the University of Maryland Extension, Kent County Office at 410-778-1661 or by email at email@example.com
There are drop off locations located throughout the county! Some of those locations are:
* Kent Co. Extension Office/Kent Public Works Complex
* Kent County Middle School
* Kent County Health Department, contact Charlene Perry
* Chestertown Farmer’s Market—Eve’s Cheese Booth
* Radcliffe Creek School
* Farm Service Agency & Soil Conservation District
* Music Life, Chestertown
* Garfield Center/Prince Theater
* University of Maryland Extension, Kent Office
* Galena Elementary
* Nana’s Niche
* Kennedyville United Methodist Church
* Molly’s/Binkley & Hurst, Kennedyville
* Phillips Station
* Delmarva Feed
* Shrewsbury Episcopal Church
* Cypress Creek Archery, Millington
* Haven Harbour Marina & Inn at Haven Harbor
* Kent County Board of Education
* People’s Bank
* Osprey Point Inn, Marina & Restaurant
* Pasta Plus+
* Rock Hall Post Office
* Town Hall, Office of the Mayer, Brian Jones
* Village Hardware and Garden Center
* Christ Church I.U.
* Kent County High School
* Running W Kennel, Worton
Best of all is that all the toys collected will stay in Kent County!!!
Kent County High School’s Boys Basketball season begins on December 5th and as part of the toy drive they are having a Teddy Bear Toss. Bring a Teddy Bear to the game and toss it onto the court during half-time. Other Toys can be brought to the game and can be put into the collection box, but please do not toss any toy other than a Teddy Bear onto the Court.
Please see flyer for more information.
Also during the week of December 4th 90.5 WKHS will be doing a Fund Drive for the Toy drive. They will be interviewing 4H members to talk about the toy drive.